Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Found a Tomato Winner

Every day I come inside with my hands full of little cherry tomatoes.  They're bright yellow and call for me to eat them, but I have been hoarding them for about a week now.  Why, you ask? Well, I flipped through the August issue of Cooking Light at work the other day and found a pasta dish that called for oven roasting cherry tomatoes and I was dying to try it with the sungolds from my yard.

Unfortunately I ate it all before I thought about blogging about the recipe, so there isn't an accompanying photo, but I'm sure I'll make it again before the tomatoes are done and will take one then.

The proof this recipe is a winner? Mr. Tomato-Hater thought it was really good.  He even said "I'd eat that again." Woohoo!!

Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes
Slightly modified from Cooking Light

12 oz uncooked spaghetti
4 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups cherry tomatoes
2 heaping tsp crushed garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2 oz parmesan cheese, shaved or shredded
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade

Preheat oven to 450.

Boil salted water in large saucepan for noodles. Cook noodles 10 minutes, or until preferred doneness.

While noodles are cooking, mix tomatoes, garlic, and 2 Tbsp olive oil.  Place on baking sheet and cook in oven for 11 minutes or until browning and bursting.

When spaghetti is almost done, place 6 Tbsp of pasta water in small saucepot.  Add 2 Tbsp olive oil.  Boil for 4 minutes, or until reduced to approximately 1/3 cup.

Drain remaining pasta water once spaghetti is cooked.  Add roasted tomato, garlic, and oil mixture (make sure to include all of the juices from the burst tomatoes); salt and pepper to taste.  Add reduced oil and water sauce.  Add half of the parmesan and the dried basil.

Serve with more parmesan and fresh basil sprinkled on top.

Supposedly served 4, but it served the two of us, with one getting a hefty second helping.  There was plenty of sauce, so in my version the amount of noodles is increased.  If you like a scant coating of sauce, the noodles could be increased to almost 16 oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment