Monday, March 21, 2011

Cinnamon, sickness, and a present

Last weekend I made cinnamon rolls that were above and beyond delicious. They even rival my grandma's cinnamon rolls, and that's saying something. 



The bread was moist and tender, even after several days.  The ratio of cinnamon goo to bread was great.  The frosting was light and prevalent.  In other words, I would eat these every day for breakfast if my waistline could manage it.

They are, of course, one of Alton Brown's amazing creations.   The recipe can be found here.

I made them last Saturday night/Sunday morning. I wanted to eat all of them, but one was enough to tide me over until Monday.  Unfortunately, I couldn't breathe on Monday, so my second roll had to wait a while to be eaten.

I got hit with a serious head cold and was completely out of it for most of the week. I still went to work, but most of the days were spent drinking cranberry juice cut with water and blowing my nose. Saturday the sinus pressure had built up so badly that I felt like I had been kicked in the head. I had to do something drastic. Then I discovered the joys of a netipot.  Sinus pressure has since reduced from a constant pain to a dull throb that is usually minimized right after I blow my nose.  I'm at day 8 and still not up to 100%. I highly suggest avoiding this cold.


During the multiple hours I spent miserable on my couch last week I finished a present! I made fingerless mitts for my dear brother for his birthday. I tagged the pattern when I found it in a library book to be used at a later date. I so rarely knit for men, for many reasons, just a few of them being: there are fewer men in my life than women, there are few patterns fit for the manly man, and a guy can only use so many hats!

When I first read this pattern, I guffawed when I saw it was knit flat and stitched. I think it's silly to knit something flat when it is perfectly easy to knit in the round, and less work, to boot. But alas, I thought I should follow the pattern, and I went against my best judgment and knit according to the pattern. What a pain in the caboose.  I like the mitts and might knit them again if someone wants a pair, but I will NEVER again knit them flat.


Pattern: Bird's Eye Mitts, by Martin Storey
Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool, Black, Green Heather
Needles: US Size 2, US Size 5


New Cold Sheep Totals:

Yards left = 16,348.3
Grams left = 10,351.2
Skeins left = 120.5
FO = 5

No comments:

Post a Comment