Monday, June 9, 2014

Radishes bolted

I have been harvesting lettuce like crazy. I pick a little here, a little there, and let it regrow.  It's still growing strong.



My radishes, however, have all started to bolt. The french breakfast radishes did great and were actually edible, but my scarlet globe radishes all started to bolt before they bulbed up into anything edible. I ended up pulling all of my radishes since it's starting to really heat up. I plan on filling those squares with more lettuce, some carrots, and maybe some fall kale.





Speaking of kale, the kales I have in the raised beds are also growing really well. Not yet of a size I can harvest, but almost. I had two kale plants that were still in small pots from my early seed starting that I just planted in pots and place along the outside edge of the beds.



My summer savory has been growing in mats.  Unlike my thyme, which had about two seeds that germinated in the beds. The thyme seeds did fine in pots, but failed when planted in the ground. I tried to plants some seeds in my herb garden, but none of them germinated.



And, new this week: A fence!



Seems pretty dang stable. I think more birds are perching on the chain link than did on the wire fence.

We haven't talked to the side neighbors about replacing that fence yet, but they did mention that they are paying someone to put in two terraces in their backyard this summer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that part of that landscaping is removing all the blackberries and other weeds growing in the corner. Keep those blackberries off my property!







No comments:

Post a Comment