Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dear MG

Dear Master Gardener,



I need your advice.  The tulips you gave me are coming up quite nicely.  No buds yet, but the leaves keep growing despite the attacks from the yard maintenance weedwacker.  As I pulled some weeds from around them this morning, I got to wondering about what could be planted to protect the area once the blossoms die back.  I have all of this poppy seed, and was considering sprinkling some over the area to effectively become ground cover during the summer.  Do you think this will work?

Thanks,
Seeds in Seattle


P.S.  The rest of the new flower bed is coming along.  Sweet peas are just starting to poke up from the corner of the side yard nearest the gate.  So far they are the only thing planted on this side.






The shasta daisies don't look like much right now, but I think they are starting to grow a bit.  There are one or two new leaves unfurling from the center of one plant, so I think the rest will survive.



The day lilies look about how they did when you gave them to me.  No growth, but they haven't turned brown yet, so I'm considering that a good sign.


One of the mums has put on some greenery.  The other one hasn't done anything.  I'm not sure which one is the bronze and which is the deep red.  Hopefully we'll get to find out in a couple months.



Other happenings in the garden include radishes finally sprouting in the cold frame, lettuce seeds sprouting from unprotected soil (I just put a milk carton cloche over about 1/4 of the sprouts to see if it makes a difference), and peas.  All of the peas I planted on George Washington's birthday are starting to come up.  Maybe the old adage really has something to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment