Friday, October 1, 2010

May they live happily ever after.

Is there really a better marriage than chocolate and peanut butter? Ok, peanut butter and jelly is pretty good. And so is macaroni and cheese. And... lots of other things. But really, who can turn down chocolate and peanut butter?

So I made ice cream.


Oh yes, more ice cream


The chocolate by itself tastes mostly like chocolate pudding.

Good thing I like chocolate pudding.





And, because I'm like that, I added some chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. The rest of the bag are sitting in a bowl in my cubicle, staring at me, just like the donuts in the kitchen. But I know what's waiting for me at home, so I will try to resist.

I'll probably fail, but it's worth a try.



I wish I had let the chocolate mixture cool in the fridge for longer. I started making it so late in the evening that it didn't get into the ice cream maker to churn until 9pm and it was still a little bit warm.  After and hour and fifteen minutes, it was just starting to cool and harden. The final result is (delicious) a bit more like the consistency of creamy sorbet instead of ice cream.  If I had either cooled in the fridge for longer, or let it churn for longer, I'm sure it would be more like store-bought chocolate ice cream.



Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
From Tasty Kitchen

2 cups Whole Milk
1/2 cup fat free milk
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 pinch of salt
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup chopped Peanut Butter Cups

In sauce pan over medium heat, stir together whole milk, sugar, cocoa powder and salt.  Heat until milk starts to steam, but before it starts to boil

In small bowl, stir together fat free milk and cornstarch. Whisk until no lumps remain and add to chocolate mixture.  Bring to a low boil.  Boil until thickened to consistency of chocolate pudding. Remove from heat.

In separate sauce pan, heat cream to boiling.  Remove from heat and add chocolate chips.  Let sit for 1 minute, then stir until chocolate is melted and incorporated.

Stir cream into cooling chocolate mixture.  Place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool, at least 1 hour.

Follow ice cream maker's instructions to churn ice cream.  Once it has chilled and thickened, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of peanut butter.  Do not over mix. Transfer ice cream into freezer safe container and fold in the remaining 1/4 cup of peanut butter and chopped peanut butter cups.  Cover and freeze until solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment