Thursday, June 23, 2011

This year's babies

Crazy things have been happening around these parts.  Crazy I tell you.  Between moving and trips out of town for both work and play, there has been zero time for... well, anything, really. I still haven't had time to download pictures from camping Memorial Day weekend from my camera. 

I haven't had time to settle into my house, or unload boxes, but as it is nearing the end of June and the weather is finally starting to warm up, I knew that if I didn't do one thing immediately, I'd be regretting it all summer.

Plant the garden.

Before I left for California on a work trip I went after the side yard with a trowel and my bare hands to pull up the solid layer of grass and weeds that was hiding the precious soil below.






I planted carrots, radishes and green onions in the space and headed out of town.  When I came back it looked like this:


Apparently I need to keep up on the yard or I'll have grass continuously growing between my radishes!

We soaked some bean seeds in water overnight and they got planted after I left along the fence.  My plan is to staple some twine to the fence for them to grow up and over. No trellis needed! They were just starting to pop up when I came back.


Then on to the tough stuff when I got back.  Most of the planting strip where I wanted to put tomatoes, etc. had the same grass and weed cover.

Before:


After an hour of weeding:


Some of the soil appears to be good quality, but it has holly leaves (very pokey, definitely not holy leaves.) and berries intermixed.  It could probably benefit from a good dose of compost and a layer of mulch on top, but we'll see what I can get around to doing before it's too late.

In my garden I now have:
*Radishes (Red Globe)
*Carrots (Fingering)
*Green onions
*Beans (Bush and Pole)
*Early Girl Tomato
*Roma Tomato
*One other tomato I can't remember
*Red Pepper
*Yellow Pepper
*Longneck Squash
*Zucchini
*Two types of cucumber I can't remember right now
*Acorn Squash


All of them have homes except the poor little acorn.  He will live on the other side of the yard, but it will require another hour of weeding.



Stay tuned for pictures from my road trip through the wonderful state of Montana!

No comments:

Post a Comment